Don't miss these exciting events coming up in our area free to all; share the news of all that is happening in Turley and Far North Tulsa
Turley/NorthTulsa Community COMING EVENTS
@ The Welcome Table Free Community Center and Park
5920 N. Owasso Ave. and 6005 N. Johnstown Ave. www.turleyok.blogspot.com
1. Food Pantry every Tuesday and Thursday, 3 to 6 pm at the community center. This past January we gave out 11,000 pounds of food to our neighbors. You can help us with donations of food but also cash donations, tax deductible, because we are able to buy much food through the Food Bank for a much lower cost than people can buy at the store on their own and donate to us; but either way we appreciate all donations as the need is so great here and growing and the shelves become empty so fast.
2. Turley Area Public Town Hall Meeting and Community Association, Tuesday Jan. 31 and Feb. 28, 7 pm O’Brien Park Recreation Center, 6147 N. Birmingham. We had a good presentation on the developments at the Vann GreenPark Industrial Park here in Turley and what we hope will be some new economic development soon there; also heard from Commissioner John Smaligo on removing more abandoned properties and working with the Health Dept to force property owners to clean their properties; heard from new Park Activities Director Kelly Chassee about new renovations coming to the O'Brien Park Center, and about signing up for the renewed presence of both North Tulsa Youth Baseball and Softball at O'Brien; and heard from us at A Third Place about all the activities in the community.
3. Future of Turley Planning Meeting, Thurs, Feb. 2, 3:30 pm, community center. A Presentation by the Health Dept. on their new building in our area; a presentation by The Lighthouse Charter School on their plans for location in the Greeley School, and about the closing of Greeley plans; and about disaster response networking, incorporation, a tour of Turley, Cherokee School plans, post office, and more.
4. Pancake Breakfast, Turley Odd Fellows Lodge, 6227 N. Quincy Ave., Sat. Feb. 11, 8-10 am
5. Gardening Day, all welcome, sign up for vegetable beds, Sat. Feb. 11, 10 am to dusk, KitchenGardenPark and Orchard, 6005 N. Johnstown Ave.
6. Volunteer Training, Community Center, Thur. Feb. 16 noon to 2 pm.
7. Town Hall with State Rep. Seneca Scott, Tulsa Community College NE Campus, Apache and Harvard, room 617, Friday, Feb. 17, 5:30 pm. A presentation by the director of the State Dept. of Human Services.
8. Turley Neighborhood Safety, Thurs. Feb. 23, 6:30 pm, community center.
9. African American History Month documentary: Stubborn Like A Mule, Dr. Cornel West and others, Tuesday, Feb. 21, 6:30 pm, free meal, at the center. A documentary featuring a Tulsa native, about the struggle for reparations for African Americans.
10. Ongoing Gatherings: Recovery 12 step groups. Saturdays, 5 pm Jerks Anonymous, 7:30 pm, Alcoholics Anonymous, community center….Turley Water Board Public Meeting, last working day of month, 8:30 am, 6108 N. Peoria Ave….Turley Fire Dept. Meetings Thursdays 7 PM, Fire Station, 6408 N. Peoria.
11. The Welcome Table community gatherings at the Center, Sundays 9:30 am to 1 pm, study, communion, common meal. Rev. Ron Robinson. Ash Wednesday Service, Feb. 22. Evening Prayer Services, Thursdays during Lent beginning Feb. 23, 6 pm at the center.
12. Looking Ahead: Join us for our Annual Week of Service in the community, March 11-16, as we clean and plant and renew our area working with our partners; also plan now to attend the Dedication Ceremony of The Welcome Table KitchenGardenPark and Orchard, 6005 N. Johnstown Ave., on Saturday May 12, from 10 am to 2 pm; and plan to attend the Cherokee School Reunion at the school on Sat. Sept. 22. Stay tuned for more exciting news about Turley Heritage Day and other events and dedication of our Community Center building and grounds.
Growing Healthy Lives and Neighborhoods in 74126 and 74130
Posted by Ron at 6:30 AM